Frequently Asked Questions


1.  What form do I need from school to get my permit or license?

"Certificate of Compliance"

Students seeing to obtain a driver's license permit or a license must obtain a "Certificate of Compliance" from the school in which they are enrolled.  The "Certificate of Compliance" takes into consideration a student's academic advancement and attendance. 

2.  Why did I have my driver's license permit or my license revoked?

You are not in compliance with our state laws.

Schools are required to report to the Department of Safety any student between the ages of fifteen and seventeen (both inclusive) who are not in compliance with Tennessee's driver's licensure requirements.

Under Tennessee Code 49-6-3017, the school system is also required to report to the Department of Safety any student not in compliance due to one of the following:

A student who fails to maintain satisfactory academic progress (making a passing grade) based on end of semester grading in three (3) full unit subjects or their equivalency.

A student who misses ten (10) consecutive or fifteen (15) cumulative days of unexecuted absences during a single semester. Out–of-school suspension, expulsion, or confinement in a correctional institution is considered as an unexecuted absence under the law.

Students not meeting criteria 1 or 2 above will be notified by the Board of Education with a letter.  Students have five days to appeal this notice.  Anyone requesting an appeal for grades or unexcused absences should contact their school to clarify or seek correction to the reason(s) for the revocation notice. Those requesting an additional administrative review through the Board of Education should follow the steps and dates included in the "notice of intent" letter. 

The school system is only authorized to take into account absences and grades when considering appeals. Student or family hardship appeals must be made directly to the Department of Safety. 

3.  What can I do to get my driver's license permit or license back?

You must prove you are in compliance.

Once a student has received notice from the Department of Safety that their driver’s license has been revoked, he/she may request reinstatement of their driver’s license when he/she proves satisfactory academic progress (making a passing grade) in at least three (3) full unit subjects or their equivalency at the conclusion of any grading period (usually a nine-weeks grading period).

A student desiring reinstatement of their license must request a reinstatement certificate from the school they are enrolled after meeting the above criteria. The certificate may then be presented at the driver’s testing station. 

Note: Baring a satisfactory appeal, students must wait until 18 years of age to be reinstated after the second school related revocation.  



1.  I can't find my diploma, what should I do?

Download the Duplicate Diploma Request form.

In the "Forms" page, we have a downloadable form to request a copy of your diploma.  One form is for a regular High School diploma.  Another is for a GED or GED transcripts.  Both forms should be read and filled out.  They should be mailed to the address on the form.  There is a fee for the duplicate so make sure you send that with it.  This is the State of Tennessee duplicate diploma form that can also be found on the Department of Education website.


RECORDS  (1 Questions)

1.  How can I get my school records or transcripts?

Records request through the High School.

You can request your student records on the High School site.  There is a $2.00 processing fee


TRUANCY  (2 Questions)

1.  What are the truancy laws (Compulsory School Attendance) for the state of Tennessee?

T.C.A. 49-6-3001, 3007, AND 3009; T.C.A. 40-35-111

(Compulsory School Age is 6 Years to the 18th Birthday)

T.C.A. 49-6–3001 – School Age - (c) (1) Every parent, guardian or other person residing within this state having control or charge of any child or children between six (6) years of age and seventeen (17) years of age, both inclusive, shall cause such child or children to attend public or non-public school, and in event of failure to do so, shall be subject to the penalties hereinafter provided. (The courts have ruled that the word "inclusive" requires a child to attend school until the day before his/her eighteenth birthday.)

T.C.A. 49-6–3007 – Attendance and truancy reports. - (e) (1) It is the duty of the principal or teacher of every public, private or parochial school to report promptly to the superintendent, or to the superintendent’s designated representative, the names of all children who have withdrawn from school, or who have been absent five (5) days (this means an aggregate of five (5) days during the school year and not necessarily five (5) consecutive days) without adequate excuse. Each successive accumulation of five (5) unexcused absences by a student shall also be reported.

T.C.A. 49-6–3009 – Penalty for Violations - (a) Any parent, guardian or other person who has control of a child, or children, and who violates the provisions of this part commits a Class C misdemeanor.

(b) Each day's unlawful absence constitutes a separate offense.

T.C.A. 40-35–111 – Terms of Imprisonment or Fines - (3) Class C misdemeanor, not greater than thirty (30) days or a fine not to exceed fifty dollars ($50.00), or both, unless otherwise provided by statute.

2.  What can I do to make sure my children are not truant?

Know the state laws and school policies on absences.

See Compulsory School Attendance (above) for state laws.

You will receive the school handbook when you register your child for school.  In each school's handbook it clearly states what is considered excused absences and what is unexcused.  You can visit your child's school website anytime to view the policies as well.  Turn in any excuse notes to the office at your child's school as soon as possible to avoid record errors.  Keep in contact with your child's teacher if he/she is absent more than two days.

Please call our Attendance Department with any questions.